Abigail Cremona was asked to resign from her post as Secretary General and as KNZ executive member on the 15th of January. The KNZ Executive was informed that she had “undertaken a prominent position in the campaign of a candidate, contesting the European Parliament Elections on the PL ticket.”
In official correspondence, KNZ President Ryan Mercieca on behalf of the KNZ exec made their position clear, stating, “I believe that your position puts the neutrality of KNZ into question.”
The Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM) scheduled for the 23rd January, (where full KNZ members were set to vote for either Marc Vella Bonnici or Mauro Miceli for the post of Sec. Gen.) seems to have been aptly titled.
A bemused exec member brought into question the membership of recently approved organizations, as he felt, “the details of their approval were unclear,” and other Exec members highlighted their disapproval of member organizations’ repeated absence from meetings.
The official report compiled by KNZ’s disciplinary organ, ‘regretfully’ reported that the EGM was postponed due to “a substantial number of grievous infringements”.
In the spirit of comic relief, insiteronline summarized the lowlights of the afore mentioned infringements;
- An out-dated email database of member organizations was used, resulting in recent members not being informed of the meeting. Insite was one of the uninformed organizations.
- KNZ statute Article 8 was not adhered to when the EGM agenda and motions were not sent to full members prior to the meeting, nor were they read or approved by those present at the EGM.
- The contesting candidates were not asked to make a short presentation as is required during general meetings.
- A chairperson to oversee the voting process was not appointed, which led to the shambolic distribution of voting cards (Insite was one of the several organisations not to receive a voting card). Indeed the present executive allowed voting to go ahead, despite many members having left the meeting in protest.
- A considerable amount of proxies were handed out due to the fact that some of the full member organizations were informed on very short notice and hence could not be present.
It stands to reason that the EGM was postponed and there is an on going investigation as to the turbulent conditions at KNZ.
Stay tuned for more updates!